NerdWallet offers financial tools and advice to help you understand your options and make the best possible decisions. The guidance we offer and information we provide are deeply researched, objective and independent.
We spent over 400 hours reviewing the top mortgage lenders before selecting the best for our readers. We’ve picked at least two lenders in several “best of” categories to help you find a lender that meets your needs.
Los Angeles is home to many different financial institutions. If the idea of sorting through them all to find the right mortgage lender feels overwhelming, don’t worry — NerdWallet can give you a head start.
We compared leading home loan lenders and identified the best ones for borrowers in the City of Angels.
Whether you’re looking to buy a house in Silver Lake, refinance your Laurel Canyon bungalow or tap the equity in your Echo Park townhouse, these national and local mortgage lenders are a great place to start.
National and regional mortgage lenders in Los Angeles
Although they serve borrowers across the country, these lenders are among the most popular mortgage providers in Los Angeles.
Best Los Angeles mortgage lenders for first-time home buyers
These lenders offer government loans, like FHA and VA, as well as special programs designed to make homeownership more affordable.
- Specializes in low-down-payment loans like FHA, VA and USDA.
- Low minimum credit score.
- Considers nontraditional credit data.
- Offers downpayment assistance programs in California.
- Carrington Mortgage review
- Offers FHA purchase and refinance loans.
- Helps borrowers find state and local down payment assistance programs.
- Manual underwriting incorporates nontraditional credit data.
- Closes loans in 30 days or less, on average.
- Multiple Los Angeles branch locations.
- New American Funding review
Best Los Angeles mortgage lenders for veterans
VA home loans make homeownership possible for many service members and their spouses. These lenders are well-versed in VA loans and can help you get the most from your benefit.
- Fifth-largest VA loan lender in the nation.
- VA loan specialists on staff.
- Offers VA cash-out and IRRRL refinance loans.
- LoanDepot review
- Founded by veterans.
- Provides custom rate quotes online with no personal information required.
- Has a full online application with e-signature and document uploads.
- Sends text message updates about your loan status.
- Guarantees on-time closing.
- J.G. Wentworth Mortgage review
Best Los Angeles mortgage lenders for home equity loans
Loan products from these lenders may allow you to turn your home’s existing equity into cash or a line of credit.
- Offers both home equity loans and home equity lines of credit (HELOCs).
- No closing fees on HELOCs that remain open for 36 months.
- 1% interest rate discount available to some HELOC borrowers who also open a deposit account.
- Multiple HELOC draw methods.
- No prepayment penalty on home equity loans.
- Flagstar Bank review
- Offers four different home equity products, including HELOCs.
- HELOCs have flexible payment options and no annual fee.
- Home equity loan terms from 60 to 240 months.
- Connexus Credit Union review
Best Los Angeles mortgage lenders for a refinance
Refinancing may be a way to a lower your interest rate or eliminate mortgage insurance, and these lenders can help.
- Be preapproved for a refinance online in minutes.
- Get customized recommendations based on your refinance goals.
- Auto-fills your refinance application with public data when possible.
- Rocket Mortgage review
- Offers a user-friendly digital platform with full online application.
- Provides custom rate quotes with no personal information required.
- Claims a 95% customer satisfaction rating.
- Guaranteed Rate Mortgage review
Best Los Angeles mortgage lenders for great customer service
Consider these mortgage lenders for a seamless experience with loan officers who’ll go the extra mile.
- Over 30 years of lending experience.
- Mortgage advisors are just a call or click away if you have questions.
- Eight straight years of top customer satisfaction ratings by J.D. Power.
- Quicken Loans review
- A digital-first mentality that includes an online application and mobile app.
- A dedicated loan officer works with you through the entire mortgage process.
- Low complaint volume and an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau.
- Numerous branch locations in Los Angeles.
- Alliant Credit Union review
Local mortgage lenders in Los Angeles
If you prefer a local mortgage experience, these Los Angeles lenders are among the highest-volume lenders in the city, though NerdWallet hasn’t reviewed them yet.
- Ideal for California school employees and their families.
- Down payments as low as 3%.
- Reduced closing costs and fees.
- Low- or no-mortgage-insurance loan options.
- Online mortgage application.
- Multiple Southern California branch locations.
- Ideal for borrowers who want affordable loan options.
- Multiple low down payment loans.
- Loan options with no closing costs and no mortgage insurance.
- Mobile app available.
- Multiple branch locations in Los Angeles.
- Ideal for borrowers who need down payment assistance.
- Offers FHA, HomePath, Home Possible and MyCommunity mortgages.
- Down payment assistance search tool.
- Full online loan application.
- Many California branch locations.
- Ideal for borrowers who want help comparing loan products.
- Dedicated loan officers to help you choose the right mortgage.
- Offers affordable FHA and HomeReady loans, as well as a no-closing-cost option.
- Free email alerts let you know when rates drop.
- Digital document upload and application tracking.
- Ideal for borrowers who prefer a homegrown lender.
- Offers a full selection of loans, including FHA, VA, USDA, home equity loans and reverse mortgages.
- Connects borrowers with California down payment assistance programs.
- Headquartered in Corona, California.
Best Los Angeles mortgage lenders: Summary
Carrington Mortgage Services: Best for first-time home buyers.
New American Funding: Best for first-time home buyers.
LoanDepot: Best for veterans.
J.G. Wentworth: Best for veterans.
Flagstar Bank: Best for home equity loans.
Connexus Credit Union: Best for home equity loans.
Rocket Mortgage: Best for a refinance.
Guaranteed Rate: Best for a refinance.
Quicken Loans: Best for customer service.
Alliant Credit Union: Best for customer service.
Schools First Federal Credit Union: Top local lender.
Union Bank: Top local lender.
Golden Empire Mortgage: Top local lender.
Fremont Bank: Top local lender.
Paramount Residential Mortgage Group: Top local lender.
More from NerdWallet
NerdWallet’s selection of mortgage lenders for inclusion here was made based on our evaluation of the products and services that lenders offer to consumers who are actively shopping for the best mortgage. The six key areas we evaluated include the loan types and loan products offered, online capabilities, online mortgage rate information, customer service and the number of complaints filed with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau as a percentage of loans issued. We also awarded lenders up to one bonus star for a unique program or borrower focus that set them apart from other lenders. To ensure consistency, our ratings are reviewed by multiple people on the NerdWallet Mortgages team.